Is a Release Needed for Using Musician in Book?

Dear Rich: I am writing a book that will feature women in music, but I need to have a release agreement they can sign that allows me to include their names, trademarks and biographies in this book. How and where do I get such an agreement. I will not be paying anyone to be included in the book, it will be all voluntary on their part. Good news! You don't need a release or copyright permission to include factual biographical information about musicians in your nonfiction book. In the event any musicians own trademarks, you're free to reproduce them without permission as well (because it's for editorial or "informational" purposes). You would only need permission if you were using copyrighted material, for example, song lyrics, photographs of the musician, or if you were copying somebody else's writings about the musician.

0 comments:

Post a Comment